Current Weather loading…



Building Permit Applications

*Remember, everyone is excited to begin new projects, so be sure to allow enough time for plan review.  During this time of year, the Building Division requires a minimum of 1 week for the processing of submittals.  Applications are processed in the order in which they are received and undergo Village and Building Code review.  Also, make sure your contractor is licensed, bonded and insured with the Village of Shorewood before pulling permits, as permits will not be released until they are current.

*Permits are required for exterior and interior work, including but not limited to, decks, fences (any post replacement and/or panel replacement exceeding 12 linear feet), swimming pools, spa/hot tubs, patios (any material), stick-built pergolas/gazebos/playhouse, porches, slabs, driveways (any material), driveway ribbons (any material), walks (any material), stoops, sheds, flag poles, windows, exterior doors, roofing, siding, permanent basketball hoops, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, insulation, drywall, structural remodeling, lawn sprinkler systems, sewer/water repair, underground electrical lines, underground gas lines, generators, water heaters, retaining & landscaping walls exceeding 24”, seat walls, columns/pillars, grill enclosures, built-in fire pits, fire/water features, grading, drywall, insulation, room additions, 3-4 season rooms, basement remodels, blacktop/sealcoating, etc.  (Generally, interior remodeling exclusions are countertops, cabinets, flooring, trim, fixtures, and tiling).  

*Even if a structure is existing, and it is only being replaced (not added onto), a permit is still REQUIRED for plans to be reviewed under current Building and Village Codes, as well as new inspections to be performed for the replacement.  To further determine if your project requires a building permit or to verify your contractor’s license status, information can be obtained through contact with personnel to discuss your plans prior to construction.

*$5,000 Damage Bonds are required for new construction single family homes in subdivisions without performance to maintenance surety from the developer.  $5,000 Damage Bonds may also be required for in-ground swimming pools, additions, commercial projects or other work requiring heavy equipment to travel over Village infrastructure (parkway, curbs and public walks).  The original signed bond is to be given to the Village, prior to permit release, to protect against any possible damage to infrastructure.  Once construction is finalized, and the Village Engineer can confirm the positive status of the infrastructure, the Damage Bond will be released back to the applicant.

Cell Tower & Equipment Modification PermitFor cell tower installations or modifications to existing equipment.
Commercial ApplicationFor ALL commercial businesses: prior to occupying any space (occupancy only with no work) OR beginning any remodeling (current tenant remodel OR new tenant build-out).  This application includes any property owners preparing a space for future tenantsMust also complete the Business License & Registration Application listed below.
Contractor's License & Registration ApplicationFor all contractors working within the Village of Shorewood.

Deck, Covered Porch, Pergola, Gazebo Permit

For residential decks, covered (open) porches, pergolas, and gazebos.

American Forest & Paper Association, Inc.

International Residential Code 2015.

Simpson Strong Tie Deck Guide.

Demolition Permit For commercial and residential demolition of buildings.
Detached Garage Permit For residential detached garages.
Fence PermitFor all residential permanent fencing including new fencing and replacement of existing fencing (any post replacement and/or panel replacements exceeding 12 linear feet).

Lawn Sprinkler Permit

For all irrigation system installations.

For information on the consultant BSI Online that monitors backflow reports. 

For annual notification to BSI that an irrigation system will not be used.

New Construction Permit - Residential

For residential new construction buildings and additions.

Guidelines for residential construction inspections and required submittals.


Refuse Contractor's License ApplicationFor refuse / disposal contractors only.
Request for Release of Bond FormFor the request of the release of cash bonds posted for incomplete exterior work on new construction due to weather conditions (refund).

Residential Remodeling Permit

For exterior and interior residential work, including but not limited to, roofing, siding, windows, exterior doors, flag poles, public or service walks (any material), patios (any material), built-in fire pits, slabs, permanent basketball hoops, HVAC, mechanical equipment, retaining and landscaping walls over 24", columns/pillars, seatwalls, underground gas / underground electrical lines, electrical outlet additions, grill enclosures, stoops, grading, sewer/water repair, generators, water heaters, driveways (any material), driveway ribbons (any material), blacktop/sealcoating, 3/4 season rooms, hot tubs/saunas/spas, water/fire features, interior remodeling (excluding countertops, cabinets, flooring, trim, fixture changes, tiling), room additions, basement remodels, accessory structures (other than sheds), etc.
Shed PermitFor residential storage sheds, pre-manufactured or stick-built.
Sign Permit - PermanentFor installation of building mounted, awning, directional, and monument style permament signs.
Sign Permit - TemporaryFor all temporary signs, banners, flags, and grand opening balloons.

Swimming Pool Permit

For above and inground residential swimming pools.

"Safety Barrier Guidelines for Residential Pools", U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Troy Fire Protection District Plan Review FormFor DIRECT submittal of building plans to the Troy Fire Protection District.

Code Enforcement Forms

Code Violation Complaint FormFor submitting a code compliance complaint.

Economic Development Forms & Applications


Business License & Registration Application

For ALL In-Home and storefront businesses within Shorewood prior to opening; Storefront businesses must also complete the Commercial Application & Business Emergency Index Form below.

Business Emergency Index FormFor all storefront businesses located within Shorewood, updated annually.
Commercial ApplicationFor all storefront businesses prior to move-in without remodel work AND any business beginning any tenant remodeling.

Planning & Zoning Applications

Professional Fee AgreementFor all projects seeking planning/engineering review
Zoning PetitionFor Variance, Conditional Use, Zoning Change, & Amendment Requests
Development ApplicationFor All Property- Concept Plans, Annexations, Preliminary or Final Plats, Site Plans
Petition for AnnexationFor All Properties Seeking Annexation
Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting ScheduleList of meeting dates and corresponding submittal deadlines for current year
Site Development PermitFor inclusion with submittal of surety for development prior to the start of construction

Engineering Checklists and Land Subdivisions Ordinance Exhibits

Link to engineering documents