Open 8am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. No weekend inspections. No photos accepted in lieu of inspections.
|Inspections - Scheduling|
|Department Fax Number|
|After Hour Voicemail|
Before you dig, call JULIE at 811 or 1-800-892-0123, or click here to process a JULIE E-Request.
OUTSIDE FLAT WORK IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE POURED FROM JANUARY 1 TO APRIL 1.
(Walks, Patios, Driveways, Slabs, etc.)
Current Building Codes
2012 IBC - International Building Code
2012 IRC - International Residential Code
2012 IMC - International Mechanical Code
2012 IFGC - International Fuel Gas Code
2012 IPMC - International Property Maintenance Code
2015 IECC - International Energy Conservation Code - ASHRAE 90.1-2013 with Illinois Amendments
2014 IL State Plumbing Code - IDNR WaterSense Amendment Only (no other amendments adopted away from the code)
2011 NEC - National Electrical Code
- Building Division Amendments: Municipal Code 8-1-6, Additional Building Regulations
- Local Fire Code information can be obtained directly from the Troy Fire Protection District.
- Per Village Ordinance 15-1790, approved by IDPH, and affective October 1, 2015, all new plumbing fixtures and irrigation controllers shall bear the WaterSense label (as designated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency WaterSense Program), when such labeled fixtures are available.
Permits and Inspections
- Applications and Submittal Requirements (including handouts/guidelines)
- The Village of Shorewood currently uses HR Green for residential new construction, additions and non-residential permit reviews. Call the Division for details and questions regarding the review process.
- Allow a minimum of two (2) weeks for first reviews and one (1) week for subsequent reviews.
- Inspections require a 24-48 hour notice (to better ensure availability), 72 hours for final occupancy inspections.
- Troy Fire Protection District Plan Submittal Form, submit directly to the Fire Department for commercial/industrial projects.
- Will County Health Department, submit directly to the Health Department for commercial kitchen and food preparation area review.
Contractor License & Registration
Cross Connection Inspection Program (Backflow) - Irrigation & Sprinkler Systems
Backflow Solutions Inc. (BSI) • BSI Welcome Packet • Inactive Irrigation Form
Irrigation and sprinkler systems are tested every year to prevent backflow into the home and protect the Village's water supply. Annual Backflow/RPZ Testing is required by law and must be performed by a Certified Backflow Prevention Tester who must be registered with the EPA (Cross Control Contamination Devise Inspector). It is the responsibility of the homeowners, and businesses, to have this done every year to prevent notices or fines by the Village. Testers or customers can contact BSI Online directly at 800-414-4990 or www.bsiprograms.com with questions, concerns or to submit their report. If homeowners do not want to use their system, the Certification for Inactive Irrigation System must be filled out and sent to BSI Online for each year that they do not want to use the system. There is a variable charge attached to hiring a tester each year. Pricing varies from company to company, and the Village cannot provide a recommendation for a tester. RPZ reports are to be reported directly to BSI Online each year by either the tester or the customer. It is encouraged to discuss who will submit the report prior to testing to ensure report submittals reach the BSI Online office.
Special Service Areas (SSA)
All areas of the Village of Shorewood located within a SSA are currently dormant (not active). The SSA was established to "back-up" the Homeowner's Asscociations in the event a Homeowners Association dissolves and no longer maintains the infrastructure.
Real Estate Transfer
The Village of Shorewood does not currently require any home inspections for the sale or purchase of existing properties and does not require any transfer stamps. All new construction however, will require a final inspection and issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.