Electric Aggregation Information
Update on Electric Aggregation May 2019
This past week ComEd released its rates for the coming 12 months. Unfortunately, these rates will be lower than provided by the Will County Governmental Leagues
contract with Constellation which the village is a part of. Our contract does allow residents to opt-out of the contract with Constellation, at any time, with no penalty or
fee, by contacting Constellation Energy at 1-844-252-4216 or online at www.constellation.com/il-willcounty.
The Constellation price is $0.07517/kWh
ComEd summer price: $0.06725/kWh
ComEd non-summer price:$0.07216/kWh * (estimated by ComEd could be adjusted slightly)
Below is a fact sheet for our program with Constellation.
CARBON-FREE, FIXED-PRICE ELECTRICITY FOR OUR COMMUNITIES
Over the last seven years, the successful Will County electrical aggregation program has saved residents nearly $30 million - or more than $350 per household.
Last summer, after a competitive bidding process, fifteen Will County communities came together to continue that success by selecting Constellation, a longtime competitive energy supplier in the state, to provide sustainable, 100 percent carbon-free electricity through a three-year, fixed-price supply agreement.
Here’s what you need to know about the agreement:
- The rate negotiated with Constellation is $0.07517/kWh through October 2021
- One hundred percent of our communities’ energy is carbon-free, meaning Constellation matches all of your energy usage with emission-free energy certificates from a gene source that does not directly produce greenhouse gas emissions.
- The fixed-rate contract provides price certainty for the entirety of the term. Beginning in June 2019 the utility’s price-to-compare is expected to be lower than the price oﬀered through community aggregation.
- The utility’s price to compare fluctuates seasonally and will be reset to an unknown rate in January 2020.
- The negotiated agreement includes the ability to switch suppliers or return to the utility at any time without incurring a termination fee. Other suppliers may charge a penalty.
- For more information residents should use Constellation’s 24-hour customer service number 1-844-252-4216 or online at www.constellation.com/il-willcounty.
Village of Shorewood Enters Into Contract with Constellation October 2018
The Will County Governmental League and many municipalities in the league (including Shorewood) entered into a 3 year contract for the electric aggregation with Constellation beginning in October. All residents are automatically in the contract and do not have to do anything unless they want to opt out.
The current ComEd price to compare is 7.358¢/kWh, residents with the aggregation group are currently paying 7.190¢/kWh. Those rates expire at the end of September. Beginning October 1st the ComEd price to compare will be 7.941¢/kWh, and the aggregation group will be 7.517¢/kWh.
Who allowed the government to do this?
Each community passed a referendum in April or November of 2012 allowing the municipality to establish an aggregation program.
Do I have to opt-out every time?
Yes. The way that the aggregation programs are established all eligible residents, including those who have opted out in the past, receive the letters and are re-enrolled.
Why do I have to provide my account number?
ComEd supplies the account numbers, via the requests from the communities, to the suppliers so that the winning supplier can mail out the letters and enroll all the eligible customers. In order to opt-out of the program they need the account number to remove the list of enrolled customers.